Frosted Flakes. They are one of the cereals that bring us back to our childhoods! But does anybody know if frosted flakes contain a lot of sugar? To answer this question I have collated the sugar content of all of Kellogg’s frosted flakes varieties (you know the OG frosted flakes brand) as well as eight other brands of frosted flakes. I have then put this list together in descending order of total sugar content so make sure to read right to the end to find out about the lowest sugar frosted flakes options! So let’s dig in – do frosted flakes contain a lot of sugar?
Do Frosted Flakes Have A Lot of Sugar?
As a general rule, frosted flakes are not a low sugar breakfast cereal. There are 11g-15g of total sugar in a serving of frosted flakes.
Before we dig in, if you are interested in reading any other articles on the sugar content of breakfast cereals then make sure to check out the following posts I wrote –
- Are Rice Krispies Low in Sugar?
- What Are The Lowest Sugar Cinnamon Toast Crunch Options?
- Are Cheerios High in Sugar and Are There Any Sugar-Free Cheerio Alternatives?
- Are Lucky Charms High in Sugar? How About Equivalent Brands?
- 17 of the All-Time Best No Added Sugar Granolas
- Is Special K Cereal High In Sugar? Are Any Sugar-Free?
- Are Froot Loops High In Sugar? Is There A Sugar-Free Dupe?
- Are Reese’s Puffs High In Sugar? Are There Sugar Free Options?
- Are Cocoa Puffs High in Sugar? Are There Sugar-Free Options?
- Is Bran Cereal High in Sugar?
- Is Shredded Wheat Low In Sugar? Let’s Find Out!
- Does Kix Have A Lot Of Sugar? Let’s Find Out?
1. Great Value Frosted Flakes – 15g of Total Sugar
One of the higher sugar frosted flakes brands is Great Value – you know Walmart’s Own Brand. There are 15g of total sugar in a serving of Great Value’s Frosted Flakes. Keep reading to find out about lower sugar frosted flakes options.
2. Millville Frosted Flakes – 15g of Total Sugar
It’s the same sugar situation with Millville’s frosted flakes – 15g of total sugar in a serving. When you compare the fact that original Cheerios contain 2g of total sugar per serving (insert Cheerio post) you realize that 15g is fairly high for a breakfast cereal.
3. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Minecraft – 15g of Total Sugar
Next up are frosted flakes from the brand of all frosted flakes brands – Kellogg’s! But it’s not their original frosted flakes (they make an appearance later on in this list), but their frosted flakes Minecraft. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Minecraft are frosted flakes with some green marshmallow pieces added. It shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to any of us that a breakfast cereal with colored marshmallow pieces is a higher sugar option – there are 15g of total sugar per serving.
4. Kellogg’s Chocolate Frosted Flakes – 13g of Total Sugar
Kellogg’s chocolate frosted flakes are next up as they contain 13g of total sugar per serving. I expected the chocolate version to be higher in sugar than the original version but I didn’t expect there to be so little in it (1g to be precise).
5. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes With Marshmallows – 13g of Total Sugar
I established above that there are 15g of total sugar in a serving of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Minecraft. Well, there is another marshmallow frosted flakes option that is a tad lower in sugar and that option is Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes with marshmallows. This bad boy comes in at 13g of total sugar per serving.
If you want to add some marshmallows to your breakfast cereal but without all of the sugar then definitely check out the following post I researched and wrote here.
6. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes – 12g of Total Sugar
Ok so now I have finally reached the OG of frosted flakes – Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes! There are 12g of total sugar per serving of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes.
7. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Cinnamon French Toast – 12g of Sugar
Next up is Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Cinnamon French toast which also contains 12g of total sage per serving. Now I am a little surprised that a cinnamon French toast flavor has the same sugar content as the original but there you have it!
8. Sunshine Frosted Flakes – 12g of Total Sugar
Another brand of frosted flakes that contains 12g of total sugar per serving is from the brand Sunshine.
9. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Strawberry Milkshake – 11g of Total Sugar
Now I have to be honest that I was quite surprised that Kellogg’s strawberry milkshakes frosted flakes contain a touch less sugar than the original – there are 11g of total sugar in a serving of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Strawberry Milkshake.
10. Sprouts Organic Frosted Flakes – 11g of Total Sugar
Ok, so spoiler alert – the lowest sugar content I came across for a serving of frosted flakes is 11g. So the next handful of entries all contain 11g of total sugar per serving. One of these frosted flakes entries is Sprouts’ organic frosted flakes. Now what I love about these frosted flakes is the super simple ingredient list – just organic corn, organic cane sugar, and sea salt! Love.
11. Good & Gather Organic Frosty Flakes – 11g of Total Sugar
Target’s Own Brand of frosted flakes (or should I say “frosty flakes”) are also organic and contain 11g of total sugar per serving. Win-win.
12. Natura Path Amazon Frosted Flakes Organic Cereal – 11g of Total Sugar
If you are looking for a Frosted Flakes brand that is organic and a little lower in sugar (11g) but that still appeals to kids then perhaps Nature’s Path Amazon Frosted Flakes could be a good option. There are 11g of total sugar per serving of this and it has a super simple ingredient list (LOVE a simple ingredient list) – “organic corn meal, organic cane sugar, sea salt.” Yet it still has kid-friendly packaging.
13. 365 by Whole Foods Market Organic Frosted Flakes Cereal – 11g of Total Sugar
Whole Foods Markets brand 365 also makes organic frosted flakes that contain 11g of total sugar per serving. This doesn’t surprise me at all – in all the hundreds of articles I have written here at Low Sugar Snax looking at the sugar content of food drinks, 365 products always make appearances as lower sugar options.
14. Simple Truth Organic Frosted – 11g of Total Sugar
The final 11g of sugar-frosted flakes option on this list comes from Kroger’s brand Simple Truth.
Do Frosted Flakes Contain A Lot of Sugar? – The Final Bite
Do frosted flakes contain a lot of sugar? What have we learned from the above? Well, sorry to disappoint Frosted Flakes fans but the clue is in the name – due to the frosting on Frosted Flakes they are not a low sugar cereal. A serving of frosted flakes tends to contain 11g-15g of sugar per serving.
Ingredients and/or manufacturing processes may change. Always double-check ingredient lists and nutritional information before purchasing any food items.
WANT TO FIND MORE LOW SUGAR OPTIONS?
Do you want to learn about some other low-sugar options at your favorite coffee chains, fast food, or restaurant joints, or just while you are shopping for groceries? If you do, then check out some of my other articles below: