- As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am compensated for referring traffic to Amazon.
Cap N Crunch cereal. It’s the crunchy oat and corn-based cereal that has a Captain on the front of the packaging. We know that kids love Cap N Crunch, but does anybody know how much sugar is in Cap N Crunch? And more importantly are there any low-sugar Cap N Crunch alternatives? To answer these questions, I have collated all of the sugar content data of a cup serving of all of the Cap N Crunch flavors. I have also collated the sugar content data of some Cap N Crunch alternatives. I have put this data together in descending order of sugar content. Make sure to read right to the end as you are going to want to find out about a Cap N Crunch alternative that contains a THIRD of the sugar content as the original Cap N Crunch. So, let’s dig in – how much sugar is in Cap N Crunch, and are there any low-sugar alternatives?
How Much Sugar Is In Cap N Crunch?
As a general rule, Cap N Crunch is a higher sugar cereal. There are 17g of total sugar in a cup serving of original Cap N Crunch. Peanut Butter Cap N Crunch is the lowest sugar Cap N Crunch flavor. There is an alternative CAP n Crunch brand that contains just 6g of total sugar per cup serving.
Before we dig in, if you are interested in learning about the sugar content of other cereals then make sure to check out the following posts I wrote –
- Are Rice Krispies Low in Sugar?
- What Are The Lowest Sugar Cinnamon Toast Crunch Options?
- Do Frosted Flakes Have A Lot of Sugar? 14 Brands Ranked
- Are Cheerios High in Sugar and Are There Any Sugar-Free Cheerio Alternatives?
- Are Lucky Charms High in Sugar? How About Equivalent Brands?
- 17 of the All-Time Best No Added Sugar Granolas
- Is Special K Cereal High In Sugar? Are Any Sugar-Free?
- Are Froot Loops High In Sugar? Is There A Sugar-Free Dupe?
- Are Reese’s Puffs High In Sugar? Are There Sughar Free Options?
- Are Cocoa Puffs High in Sugar? Are There Sugar-Free Options?
- Is Bran Cereal High in Sugar?
- Is Shredded Wheat Low In Sugar? Let’s Find Out!
- Does Kix Have A Lot Of Sugar? Let’s Find Out?
1. Cap N Crunch – 17g of Total Sugar
Ok first up on this list is the OG Cap N Crunch Cereal. Yes, that’s right, Cap N Crunch. There are 17g of total sugar in a cup serving of this oaty corny cereal goodness.
2. Cap N Crunch Oops All Berries – 17g of Total Sugar
Cap N Crunch Oops All Berries has the same sugar content at 17g of total sugar per cup serving. In case you aren’t sure what Cap N Crunch Oops All Berries is – it is just the colorful fruit balls part of Cap N Crunch Crunch Berries. So even though Cap N Crunch Oops All Berries is much more colorful than the original Cap N Crunch it isn’t higher in sugar content.
3. Cap N Crunch Crunch Berries – 16g of Total Sugar
The next entry is a combination of the above two Cap N Crunch cereals – Cap N Crunch Crunch Berries – original Cap N Crunch with colorful berry balls. This variety contains a touch less sugar at 16g per cup serving.
4. Cap N Crunch Chocolate Caramel Crunch – 16g of Total Sugar
I have to be honest I was a little surprised that Cap N Crunch Chocolate Caramel Crunch contains a little less sugar than the original at 16g. I mean chocolate and caramel make it sound indulgent and like it would contain more sugar than the OG. But that’s not the case.
5. Happy Belly Big Berry Crunch Cereal – 16g of Total Sugar
Next up is Amazon’s take on Captain Crunch. Happy Belly’s (Amazon’s Own Brand) Big Berry Crunch Cereal is Amazon’s take on Cap N Crunch Crunch Berries. And guess what, it contains the same sugar content at 16g per cup serving.
6. Cap N Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch – 13g of Total Sugar
The lowest sugar Cap N Crunch cereal is their peanut variety, which contains 13g of total sugar per serving. To be honest this doesn’t surprise me. I have learned through all the hundreds of articles I have researched here at Low Sugar Snax that peanut butter is often a lower sugar flavor – this is the case also with smoothies and ice cream flavors (insert ice cream flavor post).
7. Great Value Berry Crunch – 13g of Total Sugar
Walmart’s take on Cap N Crunch Crunch Berry contains less sugar than the Cap N Crunch version. If you pro rata Great Value Berry Crunch’s sugar content so it is applicable to a one cup serving it equates to 13g!
8. Chestnut Hill Berry Crunch – 13g of Total Sugar
It is exactly the same sugar situation with Chestnut Hill’s Berry Crunch. There are 17g of total sugar in a 1 and 1/3 cup serving, which equates to 13g in a cup serving.
9. Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins – 9g of Total Sugar
So, if you love peanut butter Cap N Crunch then I have some great news for you! There is a lower sugar alternative available and that alternative comes from Barbara’s Puffins! Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins are similar in shape to Cap N Crunch, are also oat and corn-based and of course are peanut butter-flavored! They are still sweetened with cane sugar yet have a lower sugar content (31% lower to be precise) than Cap N Crunch Peanut Butter. You can check Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins out on Amazon for yourself here.
10. Barbara’s Puffins Original Cereal – 6g of Total Sugar
It gets even better. Barbara’s Puffins also comes in a plain flavor too – which just lets all the corny oaty flavor shine! Puffins Original Cereal is also sweetened with cane sugar (and also molasses) but contains just 6g of sugar per cup serving. That is almost one-third of the sugar content as Cap N Crunch! How crazy is that! Run don’t walk, to get your Barbara Puffins from Amazon here.
How Much Sugar Is In Cap N Crunch? – The Final Bite
How much sugar is in Cap N Crunch? What have we learned from the above? Well, the bad news for all Cap N Crunch fans out there is that it is a high-sugar cereal as it contains 17g of sugar per serving. There is good news though and that is that there are lower sugar options available, which contain as little as 6g of sugar per serving – there is almost a third of the sugar content of the original Cap N Crunch. Well, now you know!
Ingredients and/or manufacturing processes may change. Always double-check ingredient lists and nutritional information before purchasing any food items.
WANT TO FIND MORE LOW SUGAR OPTIONS?
Do you want to learn about some other low-sugar options at your favorite coffee chains, fast food, or restaurant joints, or just while you are shopping for groceries? If you do, then check out some of my other articles below: